Monday, May 25, 2020

Buying Panicum virgatum 'Northwind'

Upright almost iridescent leaves of Panicum 'Northwind'
I read about Panicum virgatum 'Northwind' from another blog, whose author is also an Orang Poa ("grassman") and quite in love with ornamental grasses. In particular, he had a fondness for the cultivar, and his enthusiasm for it pushed me to look for the grass whenever I dropped by some plant shop.

Today I finally found it and immediately bought one. There were only two specimens left, and there was interestingly enough no large label to tell what they were. Even so, the plants were standouts and immediately drew me to them. I selected the larger plant, which topped out at around half a meter tall.

The blades of this grass are very straight and upright, almost stiff even. They seemed to glow with some inner light, and when I got to the counter to buy it, two of the counter girls remarked upon how beautiful it was, with one even going so far as to ask about the name.

Once I got home I noticed that the setting sun's rays had illuminated the top half of the grass, while leaving the bottom half in low light. I was entranced by the sight, and took a pic before the sun had fully set.

I am really looking forward to how this grass will develop over the season, and into next!




No comments: