Thursday, December 15, 2022

Common Names: So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Ornamental variety of Imperata cylindrica (aka. kugon, cogon, alang-alang, spear grass, blady grass...ughhhhh!!!!!)

I noticed I completely ignored using common names in the last few posts I have made (especially the botanizing ones), and I find it does not bother me at all.

Maybe I'm just too lazy (yes!), but hunting around for the common names when posting about multiple species during a botanizing trip is just too much work. Plus, some common species have literally a crowd of common names, and it just gets too unwieldy to keep posting them when the scientific names are exact (well, at least until those nefarious taxonomists get into a sadistic mood).

When introducing or focusing on individual species I will likely post the various common names, but I'll probably skip on them from now on in most posts, and da*n the search bots.

I figure if you care enough about something, you learn its proper name. 

Btw, that beautiful (very rare) purple flowerhead of the ornamental variety of I. cylindrica is one reason why I like that species, notwithstanding it is considered one of the top 10 weeds in the world ;-)

No comments: