Tuesday, September 8, 2020

A simple contrast: Diversity vs Monoculture

 

M. vimineum in Watching Reservation, NJ in Spring (top) and
diverse flora in French Mountain, Lake George NY in Fall (bottom)

I'm currently hiking the Lake George area of the Adirondacks, in New York State.

The Adirodacks has been fighting a long war against Phragmites australis, but it has so far escaped the ravages of the equally  aggressive Microstegium vimineum (Stiltgrass).

I hiked both the French Mountain Trail and the Buck Mountain Trail, and so far I have not seen any signs of stiltgrass.

Instead, I have seen lots of diverse flora inhabiting the forest understory, from moses, to ferns, to non-invasive grasses like Leersia virginica.

I took a pic of the diverse flora surrounding a dead tree trunk, and suddenly realized I had taken a somewhat similar photo in Watchung Reservation in NJ, but this time of a dead tree trunk in Spring surrounded by sprouting M. vimineum

By the time Fall came around, the short culms of the stiltgrass would perhaps be so dense and tall that they would look like the colony of stiltgrass in the pic below!

Microstegium vimineum surrounding tree in Fall



No comments: