Friday, September 25, 2020

Spikelets of Muhlenbergia reverchonii "Undaunted"


I bought a Muhlenbergia (along with a Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light') cultivar at the end of 2019.

Both were dried and seemingly dead, and therefore discounted by the store, but I figured that they would sprout again in Spring. So I kept both in our garage, making sure not to wet the soil, and as expected this Spring both grasses came to life.

Unfortunately, neither seemed especially vigorous at the beginning, although as Fall came both have continued to grow larger. The Miscanthus hasn't flowered, but the Muhlenbergia did send out a somewhat thin spray of pink blooms.
 

The spikelets were quite tiny, but I did manage to take macro shots of some, which clearly showed the short glumes and awned lemma of the single florets in each spikelet.

I had planted the Muhlenbergia close to a stand of Japanese Blood Grass (Imperata cylindrica), and over the course of the year the JBG had started to envelope it, and perhaps this had also affected its size. I'm therefore going to transplant the grass away from the JBG next year and hope the specimen performs better.



No comments: