Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Who says I'm not ornamental? Native Schizachyrium scoparium (Little Bluestem)

A lot of times our native grasses get the short shrift even from gardeners, who tend to want the pricey ornamental grass cultivars sold by stores.

But I found this Schizachyrium scoparium on a roadside filled with Little Bluestem, and look at it now. The late afternoon sun was shining on it, and I noticed it looked quite red from a side angle, so I took a quick pic using a cellphone (the one with the Leica lens though).

What a beautiful gem, and 100% native and wild type!

2 comments:

Tilda said...

Absolutely beautiful ! This species occurs in abundance in southern Arizona too.

BanyanWanderer said...

As a native grass, I've actually seen it from one coast to the other. Here in the East Coast, as well as in the West Coast. I think the first time it really caught my eye was in White Sands National Monument in New Mexico. It was just such an erect specimen in the white background. It really blew my mind in new Hampshire though, as it's used in roadsides there.